Monday, June 18, 2007

Audience Feedback on Previews!

Ralph got this in an email:
****************************************************
My name is Johnny Byrne. I am 24 years old, a choreographer and dancer in New York, I live in the East Village.I had the amazing experience tonight of getting caught up in your live theater.

Last night, I noticed that there was some perf. art happening in the street, but of course my friend wanted to see the new "art" in Urban Outfitters. My moron friend was too caught up in her shopping to enjoy the real art happening. So tonight when I saw the beautiful glow of a red head doll from my gym at 4th street, i had to find out what was going on. So I walked up 2nd ave, and my tour started with the mini play about the nun, the librarian, and the suburban mom.

I followed all of the way to the end. I really loved it! It has me wired. I couldn't believe how real it all was, and all the interruptions of crack heads, drunken college kids, and ignorant ghetto kids from alphabet cityreally didnt distract, they ADDED to the realness. At one point the scene with the cop and the serial killer took place in front of a rough mens half-way house. Three guys came out obviously mentally ill, one had an umbrellaand started cursing and threating to hurt somebody. The actor made it so real, the continued their scene not missing a beat and it actually gave the play so much more power. In the next scene with the drag queens, and neurotics, I was just laughing my ass off.

I thought the girl who was taller and more curvy ( and was the black man's girlfriend) was really a stand out. She was hysterical and everyone in the scene was so committed and gave 110%.

Another beautiful moment were the two divided by the cement corner, they were in saran wrap and just hilarious. I am so grateful for tonight. I have been really depressed with this neighborhood, how it is changing. The streets are filling with starbucks, trendy and tacky restaurants and of course the overwhelmingand stank smell of cheap tequila bleeding from bars. The neighborhood is over populated and everyone tries to be so trendy that they all end up looking the same way anyway. The east village is more like the UWS now.

My boyfriend is artist David LaChapelle, and I knew he grew up in the east village when it was really in its golden years and developing with warhol. haring, and the village voice...etc. When I was watching these plays tonight, I could just imagine going back in time and seeing how relevant they were at the time they were first produced.

Congratulations on such an amazing event. It looked very difficult to arrange, because there was so much involved, and it turned out perfectly!You are all so talented, I never write emails but I was really inspired.

One last thing. the last scene about Vietnam actually made me cry. Everyone was so incredible. the black man's monologue really touched me as well as the black woman's monologue and the asian woman's dictian.The guitar player was so musical and sweet and the young recruit was really convincing. I am so grateful. When they sang the part about the little girl scratching my back, i almost cried.

There was some really profound stuff in that play!I was really not prepared to see theater tonight but you made my whole summer!
Johnny
PS, I didnt buy a ticket, so if there is a place i can send the 18 dollars please advise!

No comments: